Tuesday, May 6, 2014

DIY Geometric picture holders

geometric wood blocks

Please come over so I can show you my little invention! But if for some reason you can't right now, I might forgive you and show you some pictures instead. I like DIYs that are simple and have very low probability of fail which is why this one is so great. Let's be honest, it can't go wrong, unless you accidentally cut your fingers off (Oops! Yep there is some saw work to do, but you don't necessarily have to risk your OWN fingers if you know what I mean ;) So basically I wanted to have some picture holders. Nothing to elaborate, just something that would stand, look pretty and hold other pretty things - photos, print outs, magazine cut outs, you name it. This is how the idea was born. I enjoyed very much making them, probably because there is plenty of  space for your personal touch and endless pattern possibilities. Would you roll your eyes, if I said I love them?

pastel and gold wood cubes

But I do. I do. I do.
I know that in some craft shops you can find beautiful wooden cubes, and yes, they would be perfect for this project. However if you want to go a little bit crazy, and make some asymmetric shapes, you can buy a long panel of wood from your hardware store and cut-it-yourself or alternatively... himself :D
  
To the point.


You will need:
- geometric wooden pieces
- acrylic paints
- tape
- clothes pins
- craft glue
- golden contact tape


wood craft idea

Step by step:

                       1. Prepare your cubes for painting (sandpaper and wash if necessary)
                       2. Get creative and paint your cubes. Tape off your line if you want to have crisp lines.
                       3. Wait for the paint to dry.
                       4. Decorate with golden contact paper.
                       5. Glue the clothes pins at the back of the cubes, using strong craft glue.


step by step tutorial

Now display all your pictures requiring special attention and enjoy the show.

DIY idea wooden cube

My 'enjoy the little things' free printable can be downloaded from here.
Are you going to risk your fingers to make these? :) Any particular patterns you have in mind? 



Have a great day!

Follow Passion shake on  Bloglovin Pinterest Facebook


 I link up here.



25 comments :

  1. First one! :) I would risk my whole hands to make these!
    Fanastic idea and it all looks great together. Thanks for inspiring x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't! :D Thank you, and it's my pleasure to hear that you find them inspiring x

      Delete
  2. Rewelacja. Nie wielkim wysiłkiem i z dobrym pomysłem cuda można stworzyć. Nie wiedziałam, że akryle nadadzą się do pomalowania drewna :)))
    Miłego dnia Aga :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zwłaszcza że chłopak wyręczył mnie w cięciu drewna :)) Akryle się świetnie sprawdzają w malowaniu drewna... malowałam już krzesła, stoły i inne drobiazgi i farba bardzo ładnie wygląda nawet po kilku latach.
      Nawzajem Marysiu :)

      Delete
  3. It looks great. I should try this wonderful project...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! :) I would love to see what colors and patterns you come up with :) Hugs x

      Delete
  4. Aga następny WSPANIAŁY POMYSŁ !!!!!! a zdjęcia katalogowe !!!!! buziole:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muszę szczerze przyznać, że straszie się cieszę z tego co mi wyszło, a jeszcze bardziej z tego że Ci się podoba :))) Mała rzecz a cieszy! Buźka

      Delete
  5. These look great! I think I will give them a try at the weekend. Thank you for the great inspiration ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do please let me know, I will mention them in the post! :) Have a great day x

      Delete
  6. SO CUTE. Absolutely love the colors and designs. And the cactus!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cactus is my new best friend - it's literally everywhere :D Thanks Amy!

      Delete
  7. This is such a clever idea and I love the patterns and colors you used! Pinned :) I hope you will stop by and share this at The Makers link party going on at my blog right now, UpcycledTreasures.com

    Hope to see you there!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for inviting me, I just shared it :) So happy you stopped by x

      Delete
  8. są świetne! pomysł mi się podoba, ale najbardziej geometryczne wzorki i kolory!!!!
    cudownej środy :)))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah te pastele ;D Wciąż do nich wracam, zwłaszcza jak za oknem jest tak wiosennie :D Tobie również :))

      Delete
  9. Aga! Bardzo mi sie podoba! Jak tylko ogarne swoje biurko zrobie sobie takie cudo:) tylko pewnie bedzoe czarno-biale;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, these are the cutest things! I love the geometric trend and your lovely color combos :)

    Amy | Club Narwhal

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! Thanks so much for linking up at The Makers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Świetny pomysł - trochę mi przypominają moje drewniane 'dziadki do orzechów' które zrobiłam na takich kawałkach deseczek dwa lata temu na święta :) Ale pomysł z klamerką zapamiętam i doczepię do nich - będę miała świetne miejsce na przechowywanie kartek świątecznych :)
    Wariatka ze mnie - właśnie sobie uświadomiłam, że mamy maj, a ja już o świętach piszę :D Ale to nic - przyznam się, że pierwszy świąteczny prezent już kupiłam miesiąc temu!!! :D
    Buźka,
    Wiola

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic idea! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a fun and simple project. I love the colors you used! Thanks for linking up at The Makers! Pinned to our Best of The Makers Board!
    Corey @ TinySidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Proste, a jakie efektowne :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah yes, I saw these and so loved!! Great idea to add the clip in back!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like